What is the $50,000 Fantasy Ownership Challenge?
The Fantasy Ownership Challenge is a joint effort between Maryland Jockey Club, Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association and Maryland Horse Breeders designed to provide the “Racehorse Ownership Experience” to potential new horse owners through an innovative fantasy challenge where participants compete with each other for cash prizes.
Who is eligible to participate?
The Fantasy Ownership Challenge is open to qualified, pre-registered attendees of the Prospective Owner’s Seminar on March 18, 2017 at Laurel Park.
Who is a qualified attendee?
- Participants must be at least 18-years-old and a legal United States resident.
- Participants must have pre-registered for the Prospective Owner’s Seminar on or before March 16, 2017.
- Participants may not be an employee or a direct family member of an employee of Maryland Jockey Club, Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association and Maryland Horse Breeders.
- Participants must not have held any Maryland Racing Commission issued license from January 1, 2016 through March 18, 2017.
How does the Fantasy Challenge Work?
- After completing a registration form provided at the Prospective Owner’s Seminar, qualified participants will be assigned a Fantasy Horse which will be randomly selected among horses entered into a non-stakes race on Saturday, March 18, 2017 at Laurel Park.
- All Fantasy Horse’s earnings will be tracked from 3/18/17 until 12/31/17.
- A Participant’s Fantasy Horse will compete with other Fantasy Horses entered into the Challenge by total United States earnings from 3/18/17 through 12/31/17. Published earnings by Equibase.com will be the source of determining earnings for each Fantasy Horse.
What are the Cash Prizes for the Fantasy Ownership Challenge?
- The total prize pool is $50,000.
- The prize pool will be distributed as follows: $30,000 to the participants assigned to the first place Fantasy Horse; $10,000 to second place; $5,500 to third place; $3,000 to fourth place; $1,500 to fifth place.
- If multiple participants are assigned to the same Fantasy Horse, the share of the prize will be divided equally by the number of participants.
How do I get information about my Fantasy Horse?
- This website will contain a blog updated weekly that will contain news, entry information, results, race video, photos, current standings and more for all Fantasy Horses participating in the Fantasy Ownership Challenge.
- All participants will be invited to a Fantasy Challenge Facebook group which will provide news and updates on a regular basis.
- All participants will receive emails regularly with updates of all Fantasy Horses.
Do I get any special perks with my Fantasy Horse?
- Yes. All participants will be invited to the paddock for saddling for all starts within Maryand by your Fantasy Horse between 3/18/17 through 12/31/17. In addition, participants will be invited to the Winners’ Circle for a Win Picture if your Fantasy Horse should win a race between 3/18/17 through 12/31/17.
- Participants will also be invited to a free luncheon and “Day at the Race” provided to current owners on March 18, 2017.
How will the prizes be distributed?
- Participants will be invited to a special luncheon in January 2018 at Laurel Park at which time awards will be distributed.
- Only one Fantasy Horse per eligible participant.
Winners will be required to complete and return a W9 before prizes are distributed.